Camp Bluestar - August 6 - 10, 2018
Camp Bluestar - August 6 - 10, 2018
Camp Bluestar is a new half-day maker camp, geared towards children ages 8-12 who are looking to immerse themselves in a hands-on, unique, creative setting. I love making things for my home, am a big believer in DIY culture, and have chosen a series of projects that will be both challenging and empowering - leaving your child with a number of take-home, quality, functional pieces. Skills covered will be: stenciling, sculpting, macrame, hand-sewing, felt construction, painting, weaving, block printing, and natural fabric dyeing.
August 6-10, 2018
1:00p - 5:00p
2404 Commonwealth Avenue, Madison, WI 53711
Each day will include instruction, ample creative/making time, a healthy snack, and some time for a guided walk or simple yoga series. Camp tuition includes all materials, a camp tote bag, sketchbook, and daily snacks. All students will be required to have a parent-signed liability waiver before camp starts.
Camp Bluestar will take place at my home and backyard, with potential walks to the nearby woods. Bug spray and sunscreen will be provided, though please feel free to send some along with your child if you have a preferred type/brand. Please note, we do have a dog and cat (they will be put away during camp), so there will be pet fur and/or dander in the vicinity. Also, please let me know if your child has any dietary restrictions.
Holler if you have any questions or concerns before registering for camp. Art is a way of life for me and my family, and I look forward to making art with your child and helping them unlock their creative potential! At Camp Bluestar, sometimes we get messy, sometimes we make mistakes, but we'll always have a blast!
*Apron or old t-shirt smock is recommended.
Main Project Descriptions:
• Color-blocked canvas tote bag - The first project of the week will be a color-blocked tote bag, as the kids will need a way to carry their projects home! Using tape, textile ink, and a stenciling technique, students will create a crisp, one-of-a-kind geometric design on their bag.
• Hand-painted wood dominos - The students will create their very own custom set of dominoes! We will brainstorm a simple icon set, which will then be painted onto the natural wood domino faces. Each set will come with a customizable canvas pouch for storing their game.
• Hand-dyed, block-printed cotton bandanas - Students will explore a dyeing method using food scraps and natural materials from around the home. Starting with a white cotton bandana, we will first dye, then block print a pattern onto the fabric using hand-cut foam, potatoes, or other household objects.
• Hula hoop rag rug - We're putting those old t-shirts to good use! Utilizing a hula hoop and yards of t-shirt "yarn" (strips of t-shirts linked together), the students will learn a circular weaving method to create an eye-catching, colorful rug perfect for their bedroom or special space.
• Pinch pots and felt succulents - Love houseplants, but lack a green thumb? Students will learn how to "grow" their very own succulents made from wool-blend felt, planted in a pot that they sculpted. Perhaps they want to shape their pot into an animal? Maybe they prefer to hang theirs in a window? If they choose the latter, there will also be an opportunity to make a simple macrame hanger to suspend their pot. So many possibilities!
• Embroidered sketchbook cover - Each camper will receive their very own sketchbook at the beginning of the week to jot down ideas, draw, or sketch out their visions. Their final project will involve hand-sewing a simple felt cover to protect their sketchbook. The students will have an chance to add an embroidered pocket to the front to hold pencils, pens, or even paper notes. So fun!